How to Create Gender-Affirming Classrooms
What Is the Difference Between Sex and Gender?
Common Sexual Orientation Terms
- Trans Student Educational Resources. “Definitions.” Accessed April 18, 2022.
- Human Rights Campaign Foundation, Welcoming Schools. “Family Vocabulary.” Accessed April 18, 2022.
- LGBTQIA Resource Center. “LGBTQIA Resource Center Glossary.” Accessed April 18, 2022.
What Are Your Pronouns?
Why Is It Important to Make Classrooms and Other Spaces Gender-Affirming?
How Do Teachers and Schools Reinforce Gender Stereotypes?
What Can Teachers and Schools Do to Ensure Gender Inclusivity?
- Equity and STEM discussions that explore possible reasons that at least 50% of scientists are white men, as reported by the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS)—and yet, anybody can be a scientist.
- Fact-based human body and genetics lessons from a gender-inclusive perspective. Examples from the National Science Teachering Association (NSTA): Ovaries produce eggs; testes produce large amounts of testosterone.
- Intentional language that doesn’t make assumptions. Instead of saying “the mom” and “the dad,” say Parent One and Parent Two. If data is about heart rate and there are no identifiers, use the singular “they” instead of “he” or “she.”