The 2021 Guide to Online Master’s In Taxation Law Programs
Do You Need to Be a Lawyer to Study Tax Law?
LL.M. vs MLS
- Master of Laws (LL.M.) – This a secondary degree for those who have their J.D. and have passed Bar Exam. An LL.M. allows lawyers to continue studies in a specialized area of law, gain specific subject expertise, and in the case of international lawyers, can qualify them to practice in certain U.S. states.
- Master of Legal Studies (MLS) – This is a graduate degree for non-J.D. professionals in a variety of industries, from human resources to healthcare. This degree program does not require a J.D. for admission. It enables non-J.D. professionals to deepen their legal expertise in their current or desired field.
Why Obtain Your Master’s in Taxation Law Online?
Online Master of Legal Studies in Taxation Curriculum
- Federal Income Taxation – Survey of federal income taxation — including when and whose income is taxable, tax policies, and a breakdown of exclusions, deductions, credits, and more.
- Corporate Taxation – Intensive study of the statutes, regulations, and case laws governing the taxation of corporations, across a variety of topics.
- Federal Taxation of Partnerships – A comprehensive study of the rules for taxing partnerships under the Internal Revenue Code, and all of the issues that influence them.
- Introduction to U.S. Law & Methods – Introduction to how law is found, made, and changed in the U.S.
- State and Local Taxation – Overview of individual and business taxation on both the state and local levels.
- Federal Tax Procedure – Examination of the judicial procedures for resolving tax disputes in a range of circumstances.
- Federal Estate and Gift Taxation – Overview of federal estate and gift taxation systems, and the relationship between the two.
- Accounting for Tax Attorneys – Introduction to tax accounting and financial statements, disclosure processes, and analyses.
- Taxation of Employee Benefit Programs – Covers the federal taxation of employee benefit programs and executive compensation, using an array of legal and policy sources.
- International Taxation – An international lens on the study of contract law, with particular emphasis on distribution contracts.
- Tax-Exempt Organizations – Analysis of tax-exempt organizations and all of the associated issues, scenarios, and questions an attorney may run into.
- Tax Research Writing – Teaches advanced legal research and writing skills, focusing specifically on tax-related legal materials and resources.
- Externship – Matches students with a law firm to gain real-world experience.
- Supervised Research – Students meet regularly with a professor to develop a thesis on a relevant topic of their choice.
Online MLS in Taxation Admissions Requirements
- Online application – The full application must be completed for you to be considered.
- Application fee or waiver – The nonrefundable application fee must be submitted with the application. If you qualify for a waiver, send a formal request to your admissions counselor with supporting documentation.
- Statement of purpose – A personal statement that answers the given question in a clear, honest, and compelling way.
- Resume or CV – An updated resume or curriculum vitae (CV) that contains all relevant academic and professional experience, accomplishments, and skills.
- Official transcripts – An official transcript from every institution attended — including community college or abroad programs — is necessary to complete the application.
- Interview – An interview scheduled by your admissions counselor and conducted using video conferencing software may be among the application requirements for admission consideration.
Online Master of Laws in Taxation Curriculum
Online LL.M. in Taxation Admissions Requirements
Online MLS with Tax Concentration for Accountants and Other Financial Professionals
- Tax Consultant
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Merger & Acquisition Consultant
- Tax Specialist Government Contractor
- International Tax Professional
- State and Local Tax Professional
- Financial Product Advisor
- Financial Entrepreneur
- Financial Technology (Fintech) Professional